Thursday, 1 January 2009

Out with the old......

Happy New Year! Here's hoping that 2009 brings you all that you hope and wish for..

Well after all my faffing about what I was going to do for Christmas I experienced another first - my first 'being ill at Christmas'! I spent Christmas Day on the couch being sick with only Wallace and Gromit for company. I found it quite amusing actually and a timely reminder not to put so much emphasis on just one day. After my four day recovery, another first - a trip to the casino (after watching the panto and meeting up with my luvvie friends). I have to admit that I found it not quite as glamourous as I might have hoped - and not even a glimpse of Daniel Craig sadly. Hilarious fun nonetheless and one to chalk up to experience.

However, my seclusion offered a chance to reflect on 2008 and my hopes for 2009. I'm aware that this year has been difficult for many of us, but like to think that there's always something positive to be found and you can't write the whole year off just cause of one sad thing. Here's my summary:

Sad things (notice 'sad' and not 'bad'): my dad died in Jan, my uncle in August, my sister and I had to clear out our family home and put it on the market - the end of an era in many ways.
Even in the sadness of these times though you realise what you have to be thankful for.

Changes: deciding to hand in my notice and take some time off work
I can't begin to describe what a positive move this has been for me. Although I realised that I loved my job and was so grateful for the school I was part of for ten years; the amazing friends I had made; the life experiences I had that will stay with me; the opportunity I had to have a (hopefully) positive impact on hundreds of kids.

Highlights: being MD for my first Student Show; having the chance to visit Cairo - amazing; spending quality time with friends in the USA as well as going places I had dreamed of visiting; having more time to do musical stuff with M&T....the list goes on.......

I'm sure that 2009 will give me the chance to build on some of these experiences as well as more 'firsts'. We're leaving for Belarus on Saturday which is definitely a first! I'm going to try and continue to blog all my stories as I go along - I've really appreciated the lovely feedback on my efforts so far. At least people have realised that there will be no deep and meaningful thoughts here, just blethers and nonsense - but what else would you expect?!?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love to you, safe travels babes! xx