I have come to two main conclusions about my parents: a) they were hoarders of the highest order, and b) they loved each other, and my sister and I, very much. In fact, these are inextricably linked.
I have found dozens of letters written to mum and us when dad was away at sea (in fact I could only read
one as it was so touching I cried all over it and had to stash the others in the ‘sentimental stuff’ box for perusal at a much later date); I found many birthday/anniversary/Christmas cards sent between all of us over the years – how glad was I to realise I had often written things like ‘thanks for everything you’ve done for me’ or ‘love you lots’ – now they’re not here anymore, I’m not left wishing I had let my parents know how much they meant to me; I found various drawings and random items made by Shona and I when we were in Primary school; Mum had kept a programme for pretty much every single production I have ever been involved in (some of them made hilarious reading – Mrs Mac and the Martians anyone?!) And the photos....... some of them will not be seeing the light of day again. The 80’s have a lot to answer for.
I have found dozens of letters written to mum and us when dad was away at sea (in fact I could only read
one as it was so touching I cried all over it and had to stash the others in the ‘sentimental stuff’ box for perusal at a much later date); I found many birthday/anniversary/Christmas cards sent between all of us over the years – how glad was I to realise I had often written things like ‘thanks for everything you’ve done for me’ or ‘love you lots’ – now they’re not here anymore, I’m not left wishing I had let my parents know how much they meant to me; I found various drawings and random items made by Shona and I when we were in Primary school; Mum had kept a programme for pretty much every single production I have ever been involved in (some of them made hilarious reading – Mrs Mac and the Martians anyone?!) And the photos....... some of them will not be seeing the light of day again. The 80’s have a lot to answer for. I could go on, but suffice to say, it has also been quite a therapeutic time for me as well. I do believe that your childhood/upbringing/parents is what shapes you as a person – and despite these last few months being a sad time, I know I’ve (we’ve) been incredibly lucky. And once a Hillsider, always a Hillsider – even though we won’t have a house to show for it soon!

I’ve arrived in Orkney ready for a wee bit of quiet time, reflecting a bit and recharging the batteries before going off on my next travels. The weather was just glorious yesterday and I’m hoping to get out and about for plenty walks etc. I really don’t know when I ever had time to work lol.

6 comments:
what .... good weather all the way up there !!! You must have stolen it from the deen !!
Hope you have a wonderful time on your travels.
Looking forward to reading all about it
Lewis xxxx
Great Blog Miss P!
Received your email with regards to your proposed "Travels". It sounds great, if not a wee bit jealous!
We haven't been in touch for a wee while. Our lives have kind of gone off in the opposite direction, but sounds like you have been a busy woman.
Sorry to read about the loss of your Father.
Have a safe and enjoyable time.
Bon Voyage!
The Sherrit's (Suzanne and Martin) xx
I found this touching and I totally agree about the way your upbringing shapes you. I've spent my life running away from it!! ha ha. I also remember Mrs Mac and the Martians. Was that the panto written by one of the cast? It was truly terrible, wasn't it? The orkney pic is beautiful, enjoy your rechard time.
That made me greet - what a journey and you've not even really left yet - leaving your job, saying goodbye to your parents and your childhood home. You're always so upbeat and pragmatic, think that's the parental shaping you were talking about.
Well when you find yourself with a moment alone sing the theme tune to the littlest hobo and think of us poor slaves to convention plodding away at the drudgery* ahem* bliss of day to day full time working motherhood and take a deep, chilled delayed gap year type breath in and out!!!
loads of love x
From a fellow member of the self-imposed unemployed club, your comments about the beginning of your exciting journey seem very familiar. I totally empathise with your memories of Hillside as they mark the end of an era for me too - I'm also halfway along the route that you and Shona have been taking for some time now.
Mary and George would be proud of what you are doing - and somewhere they are both looking down watching you experience it.
Have fun & enjoy!
Fiona xx
well, i've just read your blog about clearing out your family home and i've managed to soak my laptop with my tears.
i hope you get everything out of this year that you're looking for and i'm sure your parents are looking down on you, also enjoying your adventures...
Enjoy Egypt - I love the place. x
Post a Comment