Saturday, 13 December 2008

the bell(s), the bell(s)...

I thoroughly enjoyed my last few days with Teresa and Scot (still no baby as far as I know!) then headed for Philadelphia on Tuesday. Did you know that it gets its' nickname from adelphos (brother) and phileo (love)??? No neither did I until a friend more intelligent than I pointed it out. You learn something new every day.

The learning continued during my brief stay in Philly, and what I don't know about the Declaration of Independence and the American Constitution isn't worth knowing. I found it fascinating to visit Independence Hall where it all happened - Benjamin Franklin et al drafting their statement of breaking away from rule by the British Empire. I also saw the Liberty Bell - which was rung to summon the Assembly of leader in Philadelphia together. Apparently it wasn't actually rung when the D of I was read in 1776. It is quite a powerful symbol though and from what I understand, has been used as a symbol of freedom from oppression.

The oldest theatre in the USA is in Philadelphia - the Walnut Theatre opened in 1809. (It was showing 'Hairspray' so of course I had to go!) It must have been modernised recently as it wasn't really what I expected inside. I think I was hoping for an HMT-like interior with it reflecting its age. I was a wee bit disappointed with that.

I didn't have nearly enough time to go all the places I wanted to, and just to make me feel at home, it was chucking it down with rain pretty much the whole time I was there. However, I would definitely go back there again, I thought it was a great city with loads to offer.

I've now reached my final destination - New York. As I type (at midnight), I can hear the horns hooting outside, and sirens blaring etc - it really is the city that never sleeps. Tonight (after freezing my a&%e off at the half price ticket booth this afternoon) I went to see the musical, 'Spring Awakening'. It was a really powerful story of teenagers growing up in 1890 Germany, based on a play of the same title which I had never heard of it. It was fairly risque in bits but the music and performances were amazing. So, I'm really looking forward to the next few days of sightseeing, shopping and shows - hurrah!

No comments: