Wednesday, 17 December 2008

Last stop - New York!

It snowed on Tuesday, and it seemed like the whole world had their cameras out taking photos. Including me lol

Anyway, having four whole days to explore and enjoy New York was amazing. On Saturday morning I checked out some of the shopping - of course. Now years ago when I lived in London, I learned a serious 'shopping' lesson which I have carried with me since. After seeing a great pair of breeks in M&S Marble Arch I decided to save myself carrying them up the road and just get them in Aberdeen when I got back. Sadly, I never saw them again. In New York it's same principle, except it's the shop you might never see again. I don't think I walked up the same street twice. So, although it may have looked like I was buying in haste, there was method in my madness ;)

Saturday afternoon I met up with Jonathan, did some more shopping, checked out his apartment and flatmates, then later in the evening, went out for dinner. We went to a nice restaurant called 'Cafeteria' which wasn't far from his flat. (It wasn't til the next day while browsing my NY Time Out guide that we realised it was actually a hip, happening and trendy establishment - where people go to 'see and be seen'. Get in!!)
Sunday was a touristy day - we took the free Staten Island ferry to go past the Statue of Liberty - well I am an almost Aberdonian after all - then we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge to.....Brooklyn. Here's the view back to Manhattan. Union Square is another lovely district to shop in and there was a Christmas market - very festive.

On Monday I got up bright and early and got myself sorted out to go on the 'Uptown' tourist bus. It went up through Harlem and past Central Park. I saw the Dakota Building - John Lennon was shot right outside it and apparently Yoko Ono still lives there most of the time. Central Park is just huge - I only walked around a small corner of it. I did some more Christmas shopping (haha) then in the evening went on the Holiday Lights bus tour (I'm getting as bad as my parents with all the bus tours). There was quite a lot of 'shop window lights' envy going on among all the major department stores - I think my fav was the Cartier shop with a huge red bow wrapped all over it. The man giving the blurb was good to - lots of interesting stories. Did you know - the clocks on the outside of Macy's are all stopped about 1225. That is the time that the Titanic hit the iceberg and Macy's owners at the time (the Strausses) died in the disaster. The clocks are a mark of respect. I have tried googling this info to check its accuracy but haven't found anything?! Even if he was making it up, it was a nice story lol.

Tuesday I did the downtown bus loop and went past Wall Street, Ground Zero and Battery Park. I didn'y get off to see GZ, but suffice to say, I can't begin to imagine who terrifying it would have been to be in lower Manhattan that dreadful day. It is quite a small area really. (Incidentally, the fire station who lost the most men on 9/11 was right across from my hotel - there was a lovely plaque outside remembering them).
Tuesday night was a highlight - I went to the Broadway Theatre to see the new musical, Shrek. It had only premiered two nights before so it really was hot off the press. I loved it - the music, costumes and set were fantastic, and there were many outstanding performances from the actors. Can't wait till the CD comes out.
I arrived back in Aberdeen this morning, and am enjoying unpacking all my shopping - deciding who it getting what and what I'm selfishly keeping for myself haha. I have certainly done my bit for the US Economy :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Mairi, looks like you've been having a wonderfull adventure! NY sounds fun, as did your stay in Nashville. Great blog, like your descriptions (shopping techniques are fab), would love to have seen the responses yoou've had to your accent (what fun, bet you've had a laugh!). Love your site, great colour. Speak/email soon, Lins and Ade.xxxx

Anonymous said...

dearest maz enjoying so so much hearing all your funny chat and all about your adventures. Speak soon and merry christmas love xxxEllie x