Friday, 14 August 2009

Summertime......and the living was easy :)

So here I am pondering my return to school on Monday - and can hardly believe that this time a year ago I was about to embark on my 'year off'. It's been great to take some time to reflect on all I've been up to over the year, and see how things have worked out just according to plan. (what plan?! I hear you ask!!) I'm continuing the supply music job until Christmas at least, so it's reassuring to have the next wee while sorted in my head and know what's happening. I'm really looking forward to it actually, and have already been in school getting sorted out!.

I've had a great summer too - first trip was to Lanzarote with Janet for our annual girlie adventure of lying by the pool, reading books, G&T's on the balcony, shopping, wee cultural episodes etc etc. Perfect. The weather was hot but the resort was fortunately windy. We toured round the volcanic areas, went on a camel ride, visited various Cesar Manrique sculptures which were brilliant, and of course, ate and drank far too much. (again)



I had the opportunity to go to Paris for a few days (again with Janet) on an inspection visit for school trip accomodation. What that basically meant was a free trip - get in! There aren't many extra perks with teaching (apart from the obvious holidays) - so we made the most of it and had two full days in Paris wandering around the left bank and checking out some museums I'd never been to before. I highly recommend Musee Marmottan - it's off the beaten track but has a FANTASTIC collection of Monet paintings on the lower floor - I totally loved it. Also the Rodin museum is another favourite. Weather was fab - and came back feeling cultured up.


Last but absolutely not least, was my trip to Orkney taking my friend Mandy for her first visit. We'd been planning it for quite a while and Mand was pretty excited about seeing Orkney. God indeed blessed us with great weather and checked out plenty of the sights. It was kind of nice for me to revisit so many places that I hadn't been in ages, as I'm normally now in Orkney for seeing folk or some other purpose rather than being a tourist. We stayed with another friend Sarah and spent so much time giggling and chatting that it was such a miss to leave!


So the summer's over - and what will the next few months bring?! Hurrah and bring it on :)

No comments: