I arrived safely in Nashville to spend the weekend with my American friend Kari and her husband Charlie. First stop was the ‘Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum’ which was fantastic, even if you weren’t a
diehard fan.As a musician-type, the insight it gave you into how country music developed and the subtle differences between styles kept me amused for hours – literally. Did some tourist tat shopping - I (just) managed to resist the urge to buy a pair of cowboy boots.

In the evening we went to the Grand Ole Opry show which in the winter months is held at the Ryman Auditorium downtown, rather than the Opryland complex. What a hoot that was. The two hour show is live every Saturday night on the radio so there was a real variety of artists singing one or two numbers each. It ranged from four guys doing a contemporary country thing, to an old man who was clearly a star of the past and looked like he should have his Zimmer (he was sweet), to a real bluegrass group complete with dobro and pedal steel.
On Sunday morning we went to New River church nearby – we knew it would suit us as it is the church that Michael W Smith is involved with. However, we never imagined for a min
ute that he would actually be there, and it wasn’t until the worship leader starting singing that we realised it was him! I tried not to be too starstruck as the whole setup was so low-key – but I do think he’s great and such a talented pianist. We had lunch in one of the bars downtown where there is live (country) music pretty much continually. You can just wander from bar to bar if you want, stopping when you find something you like.
ute that he would actually be there, and it wasn’t until the worship leader starting singing that we realised it was him! I tried not to be too starstruck as the whole setup was so low-key – but I do think he’s great and such a talented pianist. We had lunch in one of the bars downtown where there is live (country) music pretty much continually. You can just wander from bar to bar if you want, stopping when you find something you like.After that, I got the Greyhound bus to Memphis. This was an experience. My guidebook’s warning that there could be dodgy characters hanging about the bus station etc was not unfounded. However, I got chatting to a nice older chap in the queue and sat with him on the bus - this was a good move as the bus was packed with people I might not have felt so comfortable sitting beside. The four hour trip flew by and to be honest, the bus was comfy enough. I was very glad however that I wasn’t going to Dallas like my new friend – he had another 10 hrs to go after I got off.
Me
mphis is SO quiet. It is obviously not tourist season at the moment which is good in some ways – no queues anywhere, lots of attention from the hotel staff etc – but it does make me as a single white female tourist pretty obvious. Yesterday, as I was poring over my map trying to find the way to the Post Office, a local guy stopped and said he would show me the way. As expected, when we neared the PO, he asked me if I could spare some change for him to get the bus home to see his wife and three daughters blah blah....and of course he’d been to Scotland before.
mphis is SO quiet. It is obviously not tourist season at the moment which is good in some ways – no queues anywhere, lots of attention from the hotel staff etc – but it does make me as a single white female tourist pretty obvious. Yesterday, as I was poring over my map trying to find the way to the Post Office, a local guy stopped and said he would show me the way. As expected, when we neared the PO, he asked me if I could spare some change for him to get the bus home to see his wife and three daughters blah blah....and of course he’d been to Scotland before. Highlights of Memphis are Graceland and Sun Studios. Graceland is not as big and ostentatious as I expected, but it is kind of cool to realise that it’s almost exactly as Elvis left it. As I went round looking at photos, film posters, costumes etc I could see
exactly why so many women went mental for him. He was VERY good looking. It was also kind of bizarre to realise that it’s not actually been that long since he died – it’s been during my lifetime so it can’t be (!) - but what a tragic wasted life just like so many other ‘stars’ who have died young because of some form of addiction.
exactly why so many women went mental for him. He was VERY good looking. It was also kind of bizarre to realise that it’s not actually been that long since he died – it’s been during my lifetime so it can’t be (!) - but what a tragic wasted life just like so many other ‘stars’ who have died young because of some form of addiction. In Sun Studios I got to stand where Elvis stood (allegedly) and hold on to the same mic that he (and the like of Johnny Cash) used when recording. What fun. Hav
ing watched ‘Walk the Line’ many times it was exciting to see where it had all kicked off for the Man in Black.
ing watched ‘Walk the Line’ many times it was exciting to see where it had all kicked off for the Man in Black.On a more random note - have you ever heard of a celebration called ‘Kwanzaa’? While browsing Christmas cards today in Walgreens I saw Kwanzaa cards so just had to google it when I got back!
Conclusion – I much preferred Nashville to Memphis. Although both ‘downtown’ areas are quite compact and easy to walk around, I felt that Nashville had more to offer. I’m glad I’ve seen both though and have loved all the musical input.
Kansas next - wonder if I'll see Toto?
PS I have decided to call myself Sue because surely that can’t be misheard?!

2 comments:
OK I am really jealous. I would love to do a tour of the US like this. With the music focus even more interesting. Glad you enjoyed Nashville!
Hi Sue (!) Glad you are having fun, sounds really good especially the Elvis bit. Andy suggested trying Mary (as lots of them there!!). Did try to text but not sure it worked. Take care xx
Post a Comment