Saturday, 15 November 2008

just arrived......

My flight to NY was fairly uneventful. However, for once I had some charming company on the plane in the shape of a tall dark (and at least ten yrs younger) stranger who was well versed on NY and all it had to offer. He gave me plenty positive vibes about the place and joined me in sinking some of the complimentary BA Shiraz. (is it only BA who offer this kind of facility nowadays?! One reason to keep flying with them methinks. It’s a sad day when a girl can’t get a free G&T)

My first day in NY and I got up bright and early to go exploring. Got out of hotel and turned right – and there was the Empire State Building straight in front of me. Woohoo. Once I’d got over that first excitement, I purchased myself a skinny latte with an extra shot (there really is a Starbucks on every corner) and meandered up 5th Avenue, pretending it was something I did every day. Popped into Sak’s for a browse – although by this time it was chucking it down with rain and I must have looked a bit windswept. Why is it that all these posh shops have their cosmetic counters right as you go in? Is it just so that the uber-glam assistants can look down their nose at you?! But was I bovvered?!? I perused the Chloe handbags as if buying one would be the most natural thing in the world. I have a credit card sweetie....
Absolutely loved loved LOVED getting to Grand Central Station and finding track 17 – yup I know I’m sad but having been MD for Copacabana twice, it just had to be done. I only just managed to quell the urge to burst into song. What an amazing building it is. And it’s right next to the Chrysler Building – prize for the first person who remembers which musical it is mentioned in.
I continued on the shopping trail – no surprises there – and visited Bloomingdale’s. Why is it so many of the NY landmarks remind you of films/musical/tv shows? I am trying in vain to remember the name of the actress who played the mermaid who went shopping in Bloomingdale’s - anyway, moving swiftly on to Times Square. I stood and took it all in for a minute. The honking of the horns, the constant flurry of people, the flashing lights. Spotted “Maxie’s” and found myself humming Lullaby of Broadway all the way down .......well Broadway I spose. Have realised I am SO sad and know far too many songs from musicals to be healthy.

Had lunch in Teresa’s deli – it seems that every deli is “someone’s”. The small salad could have fed two people. I had forgotten that food is big over here. I’ve also discovered that my name is a bit of a mystery and clearly my accent is difficult to understand. I have had a few experiences now where I have had to give my name (usually for a Starbucks) then they call it out when it’s ready. I have had ‘Midy’ and ‘Mardy’ so far. I think I may call myself Marie for the duration, much as it pains me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go GIrl!!! I'm right there with you - in my virtual reality world of those who live vicariously through you. Saks and the city, eh? See what I did there?
Looking forward to hearing more and missing you. Got your new number so will text soon

Luv Lainey - and the other three boys send hugs and kisses.

Anonymous said...

The mermaid was Darryl Hannah! Hope you're having a great time and loving every minute. Fancy being called Mardy. LOL Sarah xx

Anonymous said...

the chrysler building is mentioned in Annie

now that IS sad!
xxx