Tuesday, 4 November 2008

Life on the road

Since I left Aberdeen on 23rd Oct I have slept in six different beds. All of them comfy - what a blessing - and even a couple of them like the famous marshmallow bed of my Grannys. (just ask Richard) I've been North, South and am now (south) West. East will be next Sunday when I get back to Aberdeen for a few nights (hurrah). No photos this time as I stupidly forgot the lead to download photos from my camera but I can't wait to upload the iced whale next time. Here goes:

North - I spent a long weekend in Shetland, coinciding with the worst weather for a long time. Wind, wind and more wind coupled with rain and cold. Nice. They recorded 100mph gusts in Lerwick on the Saturday. I lost my woolly bunnet to a puddle. I was nearly blown away. (I said 'nearly') However our concerts (which was the point of the visit) went really well and were attended well despite the atrocious weather - and of course the hospitality was as warm as ever. The early flight to Orkney on the Monday morning was one of the bumpiest I have had in a while, if ever - I closed my eyes and tried to sleep through all the shaking. Of course, I picked the moment that the plane was banking round (at almost 90 degrees) in preparation for landing to open my eyes which wasn't a good move and nearly finished me off. All I could see was sea. And rough sea at that. All of a sudden I was thankful I was in a turbo prop rather than Northlink.

Three days in the studio and Finstown hospitality later and I was off ....

South - after driving all day through Scotland (and a beautiful day it was too) we arrived in Cumbria for a one night stop off en route to Leeds for a 40th birthday bash the Friday. Michael and I had been asked to sing a few songs in entertainment after the meal. No problems there. I had also been asked if I would accompany the birthday boy's sax playing brother for a few tunes too. No problems there either - or so I thought. Then I discovered that Andrew is a professional performer and composer who lives in London. And here was me thinking I'd only have to busk along to 'Take the A Train' or 'Chattenooga ChooChoo'. Ooopsy. The piece he had chosen was amazing - and also amazingly difficult for me to play with limited practice time available.. but he was very gracious about my attempts to keep up and the punters thought it all sounded wonderful - if only they knew how much guff I was playing. It's amazing what you can get off with if you smile/look pensive at the correct moment. Try it sometime ;)
The time spent there was splendid with lots of good (late night) chat which is obviously right up my street. I met some lovely people too which is always a bonus. Headed from Leeds to...

(South) West - and am currently in Bristol visiting my friend Mandy. I slept for 10 hours last night which I spose indicates how tired I am after so much excitement and late nights of chatting, albeit self-inflicted. It's just fab to have some chilling out time to regroup and reflect on the happenings of the last few weeks. I'm going back to join Michael and Teenie for more concerts on Thursday, then will be home sweet home on the 9th Nov. (for three nights lol)

Some news about the house - there have been a couple of viewings which according to the estate agent is very good going in Montrose at the moment. One viewer is interested but has a property to sell first. This is really encouraging so thanks so much for thinking/praying for this situation - please continue if you can. Thank God too :)

No comments: